Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Already missing it!

I made a promise to myself to not color my hair anymore for the next year. my hair is just getting too damaged. i used to have a friend wash, color, and twist my hair. she was a certified colorologist (if there is such a tittle! all i know if her specialty was in coloring). but she had never dealt with locs before. so she used to do a quick rinse and as a result, a lot of color was left in my hair. and it used to run every time i shampooed and rub off on EVERYTHING!!!!! i have so many white t-shirts with a pink collar from where the color rubbed off. and, as you can image, having that color stuck in my locs didn't do them any good either. and this went on for a few years. then, i decided to take the reins and do my own hair. so now i was responsible for my own washing, coloring, and twisting! the first few washings were a little tough. i had never tried to twist and clip my hair myself. after doing the first three or four locs, i gave up and just braided three locs together as i twisted and did a braid out. i got through 2 washings this way. then, thanks to the WONDERFUL advice and encouragement i got from a wonderful group on Yahoo, called LovinLocs (BIG SHOUT OUT TO ALL MY "FAMILY' ON LOVINLOCS!!!!!!),i learned about latching. so i bought the nappylocs latching tool and about 2 months ago i began latching my hair. this woked out GREAT!!!!!! but there was one downside. now, i'm washing my hair about once a week. before, i was washing about once every six weeks or so. becasue i'm washing so much more often, the color doesn't last as long. so i tried to color my hair myself. for the first time in my life. it was pretty bad! as you all know, my color of choice is red. not just any red, the brightest red i can find. needless to say, by the time i was done, there was red everywhere! all over the bathroom sink ( i colored in the bathroom so i could see what i was doing). a few BIG splotches on the floor. a smear or two on the wall by the light switch. then, when i went to wash the color out, i got read all over the counter in the kitchen!!! i wash my hair in the kitchen sink with a washing hose. i have a serious phobia of getting water in my ears!!! but i got through it. the color was wonderful. i was happy. but then i washed mt hair a week later, and a bunch of color ran! i was a little puzzled 'cause i thought i had done a good job at rinsing. and now the color wasn't as vibrant. oh well. then i washed my hair again a week after that. more color ran. the color is even less vibrant. i'm now four washings in since i colored my hair and its just a dull as it was before i colored it!!!! i'm not going through that coloring fiasco again!!! so, since i'm washing my hair more often now, i'm not going to color. its a waste of time. and i'm damaging my hair. but, god, do i miss it!!!! a lot of people say the color is great and its so bright, but I know how it can really look when its at its best. but i will say this. if the red fades to pink, which it has done in the past, i'm gonna color it over with a deep auburn. we'll see what happens. sometimes it fades to a pink, sometimes it turn and orangish brown, sometimes a reddish brown. i'm actually kinda excited to see what my hair will look like brown. for as long as i've been able to color, i've done red. this will be a new look. lets hope this goes well...


and for those of you who are interested, here's the link to the group:



alt="Click here to join lovinlocs">
Click to join lovinlocs

No comments: