Monday, January 25, 2010

Palmrolling With No Product

so, i lost my nappy loc tool and i made a few homemade tool out of paper clips. it worked really well when i had longer hair cause my locs tapered down naturally into smaller tips and i was able to lace that through my homemade tool. i wasn't able to lace the whole tool through my loc like the NappyLoc tool. i just inserted the tip through the new growth, put the tip on my loc end through the tool, and drew the hair through. but with my new haircut, my sister cut my hair straight across which gave me very blunt, fat ends. so i was no longer able to fit the end through the tip of my home made tool. so my answer to this was to just palmroll. i know i wrote a couple of posts ago that i had tried this again and i didn't like the outcome cause i was finding the gel that i used was getting caught in my hair at the point where the loced hair met loose, unloced hair. well, to combat this, i just palmrolled with absolutely NO PRODUCT!!!! after washing, i just did the palmroll method i did a video about in my Tried Palmrolling Again... post. and it held pretty damn well, if i do say so myself!!!!!! definitely as good as when i used the ORS lock and twist gel! and it lasted just as long, too! i was able to go three weeks in between palmrolling before i noticed the twists loosening! AMAZING!!!!!!!! this was the answer to all my problems! but eventually i wanted to latch again cause i get pain when i get too much loose hair.

what was that, you say?

yup, when i have too much loose hair at my scalp, my head gets tender and sore. why? well, i'm not quite sure, but i've hypothesized that its because the hair of each loc doesn't grow in evenly. so, for example, the hair on one side of my loc will grow slower than the other part and my loc will start hanging funny and i feel the stress of that hair being pulled tight as it tries to hang evenly because of the weight of the loc. kinda along the lines of when you get braided extensions in your hair and you try and put that freshly braided hair into a ponytail, and because the hair was braided in one direction,usually down, it hurts to try and pull it up into the ponytail. get what i'm saying? but when i re-latch and there's less loose hair, the tenderness goes away. i don't know what that's about, but there you go! LOL
so, i bought two more NappyLoc tools, one medium sized, which is the size i had before, and one large sized to help deal with the larder ends. i re-latched my hair over three days about a week ago and i'm feeling mighty fine!
as my hair grows in, depending on how lazy i'm feeling, i may palmroll again for a few months before i latch again, or i may just go right to the latching, i don't know. it will depend on my mood. but i'm glad i found out that plain water will work just as well for me!

3 comments:

robinc said...

Thanks Lilly for the explaination of your scalp tenderness. I have that same problem and your analogy makes perfect since. BTW Luv your new hair cut. It is very you! peace&blessings

robinc said...

One typo in my post...since should be sense :)

Lilly said...

thanks robin! i thought i was the only one with this strange problem! LOL