Saturday, September 6, 2008

New product and another lost loc

so i was looking in the mirror the other day, gazing at my reflection (LOL!!!) and checking out my hair, when i noticed a little lint in my loc. so i picked it out and i decided to check the rest of my head just in case. and what do i find???? one of my back locs on my hairline was CAKED with dust/dirt! it looked like these pig gray patches in my loc. so i went to work trying to pick it out, but it was just too much. so i cut the loc. i ended up cutting about 5 inches of loc off! and then i tore into the piece of loc to see just how deep the dust/dirt went, and it was all the way to the core! that really freaked me out! so then i realized that over the last year or so, i've had to cut all of the locs along my hairline in the back because of imbedded dirt. and that really made me angry. but then i relized that only the bottom parts of the locs were that nasty, so it must have happened years ago...when i was going to the salon to get my hair done!!!! for the first three years i never washed or styled or retwisted my hair myself. i had everything done at the salon! so this nastiness was THEIR fault! it made me think of all the times i was getting my hair shampooed and the girl wasn't even looking at what she was doing! she was talking to the other people in the salon while she washed my hair with one hand kinda lazily scrubbing my head. and they had the nerve to want to raise their prices! it makes me so glad i do my hair myself now!
changing subjects,
i was browsing the products in Rite-Aid the other day and guess what i found! JML anti-itch spray, which i was looking for for a while. i went into the hood to find it and they didn't have it there, but here, in this nice little small town of Roslindale where i just moved to last month, they have it here, in their tiny little black hair care section! wonders never cease! but i also found this leave-in shine treatment here's the bottle:
Photobucket
its 18ml. it cost under 2 dollars, i think. the texture of the liquid is a little heavier than water but definately lighter than the olive oil i use. the directions say to work through wet hair and style as usual. so i washed my hair, used about half the bottle on my hair, and did a braid out. my hair came out soooooooo shiny! it looked beautiful! its hard to get any kind of luster with locs. its just the nature of the hair. usually, if i want my hair to look shiny, i have to add a lot of oil to it and then i have to wash it the next day cause i don't want buildup. this stuff did the trick. here's some pics of how my hair looked after the treatment. the camera didn't REALLY capture how shiny and hydrated my hair looks, but you get the idea!
Photobucket
Photobucket

7 comments:

Billie Walker said...

Wow that looks good!!
I plan on eventually locking my hair one day...maybe in a few years time...any advice?

Lilly said...

Go for it! i started with yarn so i never had to go through that awkward baby/teenage loc phase. i just grew my locs out with the yarn for the first year and then cut the yarn off! it worked great for me!

Tonia said...

Your hair looks awesome! Glad you found out what was going on and now you are able to care for your hair better than the salon!! That is unreal! you would think they would know better! Reminds me to keep a close eye on Cassidy's for build up or anything :)
You look great, thanks for sharing!!

Kumina said...

Go to Sally's to get the leave-in treatment, it's about 99cent there.
Thank you so much for sharing the info on this product. I love it!
My mom wears a curl and it works wonders for her too.

z said...

Oh don't worry, I can definitely see the shine! This is a good product and I used this brand's hair gel when I was a permie, because it really conditioned my hair and it's nice and light. I wouldn't mind trying it but i don't want to attract a lot of lint either. Btw, you locks are so gorgeous and your braid-outs are beautiful!

Afrolady said...

I understand that whole dirty-lint-in-the-loc-thing. I am maintaining my 3 sons locs. Well, I retightened my oldest son's hair a couple weeks ago. I had him wash his hair in the shower, and he did. Well, when I got ready to start working on his locs, some of them were still VERY DIRTY. So, I tried to wash them with some of my castille soap. Well, two washings later, that didn't help either. So, I ended up using some DISHWASHING LIQUID - and BOOM, out the dirt and buildup came - without any more trouble. He started his locs (March 07) with comb coils (in the salon) then when he went to school a young lady used beezwax on his hair. It took about 6 washings and I finally got his hair CLEAN. I started my other 2 sons hair with two-strand twists and there is NO buildup in their locs at all.

I have just gotten started with braidlocs and I am being very careful to wash frequently and use a little oils and things that can cause a buildup. Your locs are LOVELY and I will be following your blog regularly.

Peace!!!!

Anonymous said...

you look great and your locs are awesome. i will be starting with yarn locs in january.