Monday, May 12, 2008

Washing my hair in the shower

ok. ever since i was little, i always got my hair washed in the sink. i don't know why. i kinda got the idea (from my grandma) that only white people washed their hair in the shower. then i went to camp when i was about 9 and discovered i had swimmers ear and i got a phobia about getting water in my ears! so, all my life, washing my hair had been this big ordeal that has to be planned in advance and it took an hour or more of my time (try three hours or more when i palm rolled my hair myself) and it was pretty much just a pain in the butt. then i got my hair locked. but i didn't know what i was doing, so washing my hair was still this BIG event cause now i had to book a visit to the salon to get it washed. then i learned about latching and i started latching my hair instead. washing was easier, but it was still time consuming cause i had to wash all the dishes first if there were any in the sink, then sanitize the sink, then hook up the little hose (you know the one i'm talking about! that little white one you get from the hair store!) then set up my shampoo mixture (half shampoo, half water in a squirt bottle. maybe'll i'll write another blog all about my shampoo routine later), my conditioner mixture (half conditioner, half water), sometimes get the hot oil treatment ready. it still took a chunk of time, and then i used to sit under the dryer 'cause i had it in my head that i just couldn't let my hair air dry. why? i have no idea!!! but on sunday before i went to work at my second job, i really wanted to wash my hair. and i had to shower, but i didn't have time for both (yes, i take long showers)! so i decided to try out the "white" method and wash my hair in the shower.
it was sooooooo relaxing!!! i love having my hair gently pulled. what does this have to do with washing my hair in the shower? well, when my locs are wet, they weigh three or four times as much. with them soaking wet and hanging down my back ( as opposed to hanging over my head in the sink, which just caused neck pain) it felt like somene was gently pulling on my hair. i sat under the sprayer for five minutes just letting the water run over my hair and feeling the sensation. it felt so good. so i did one shampoo. no conditioner (i'm finding that if i condition too much. my hair starts to unravel!) and a looooooong rinse (for the relaxation factor!) and then out of the shower. i wrapped a towel around my head and continued with my getting ready routine and then i put some JML oil through my hair and let it iar dry for the rest of the day.
i felt so free.

1 comment:

E. Cigs said...

This is what for i an looking for ...your blog is just great keep it up .your ideas will help us in business expanding "Washing my hair in the shower"..great article