Saturday, May 3, 2008

I couldn't do it!

so, i've been tryin to latch the back of my hair and palm roll the front two rows. its looks wonderful and it works, but not for me. i had a couple of problems with it:

1) i wasn't washing my hair as often. since i've been latching, i' ve been washing about once every week and a half or even more. but since the first time where i palm rolled the front (about three weeks ago!), i haven't washed my hair since. i "freshened up" the front rows once. but it takes an extra twenty minutes or so to twist the front. and then i have to either sit under the dryer or sleep with the clips. so i just didn't wash my hair. and i felt kinda yucky!

2) i have buildup! so, most of the length of the locs are palm rolled. then i have about an inch 2 inches of latch hair, then there was about 2 inches of palm rolled hair again near my scalp for the front locs. so, not only was there a slight size and texture difference where the was latching in the middle of the loc (which didn't bother me at all) but gel was getting caught in the "knot" where the latched part started! and i use clear JML gel. so you can imagine how terrible it would have looked if i used a creamy gel. i washed my hair and rinsed for OVER HALF AN HOUR with really hot water!!!! i'm not kidding! and i still couldn't get all of the old gel out! you know what a freak i can be about buildup! i destroyed two of my locs already trying to get the buildup out!

so i decided to just go back to latching my whole head. and i discovered a way to make the front look neater. latch it wet. i usually latch dry before i shampoo, but i've found that if i latch wet, i get a neater look. the hair is slicker and it lays flatter ,so the latching looks less frizzy and more tight. it makes sense. when i palm rolled dry, i got a completely different look than when i palm rolled wet. so i might just latch the front few rows after i shampoo so it looks as neat and tight as it can.

Photobucket

Photobucket

i love the freedom of latched hair. why do it half way?

1 comment:

Knappyily Me! said...

Looking good Lillian!