Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Getting Creative!

its sooo hard to find hats that fit when you have locs!! so i decided to make my own hat! i loom knit. (i'm actually gonna start another blog all about that,so if you're interested, keep an eye out!) i figured i could just make my own "rasta" hat. its basically a visored beanie with a deep balloon shape. it was a pain in the butt to make the hat, but i won't go into that. basically, i'm pretty please with the end result. its a bit tight! but that's my own fault. i did a really tight stitch at the bottom, which, looking back, i don't know WHY i did that! its huge! but that's a good thing. basically, i want this hat to last me a couple of winter worth of hair growth. i still haven't mastered the art of putting on a rasta hat. it takes me a few minutes of cramming my hair in the hat before i'm ready to go. that can be a pain in the butt, especially when i'm just trying to get out the door! i'm sure there must be an easier and faster way to get this hat on. we'll see. i feel kinda stupid asking people how they get a hat on their head! LOL! anyways, the hat is 20% wool, 80% acrylic. i'm not really worried about it leaving fuzzies in my hair or anything like that. i just need it to loosen up a bit so i can really enjoy wearing it!! i'll probably not sell it or make anymore to sell. it was a real pain to make this hat. i can't even imagine doing it again any time soon. and if i did make another, i would probably sell it for like 25 bucks to make up the cost of the yarn and the time spent, and who would pay 25 dollars for a hat! nobody i know! okay, so here are the pics of my first rasta hat!

Photobucket

Photobucket


i don't know why this pic is so much bigger than the rest, but, oh well! i look like i have a dinosaur head in this pic, right! LOL!!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

Earth Mother Guidance said...

This is so cute. I would pay $25 for a custom hat. Girl, people charge more than that. I will be excited the vid. If you do sell them let me know.

Kumina said...

Have you checked out the price of a large rasta hat? I've seen them for 45 dollars and more. Plus you have to take the color they have, your's would be custom, plus your time added in. About the tightness of the hat around your head, do you think it would help to dampen it and stretch it a little while wet and let it air dry? I do this on some of my knit sweaters that I am um, er....outgrowing.